Monday, July 28, 2008

First Post

OK, been posting on various websites for years, but never had a spot to just ramble and vent.

I am starting this blog to record my commute by bicycle from my home north of Lancaster, PA to work in York, PA. The total distance is about 30 miles, and while at first seems to be a very daunting undertaking, the reality is that it probably won't be that bad.

Reasons for contemplating:
1. I am already getting up at 5 am to go work out by either running (today was a 6 mile run) outside or around the gym.

2. Fuel prices are rising and there seems to be no end in sight.

3. A penny saved is a penny earned. With an almost 1 year old, and the prospect of adding more kids, even a few bucks here and there is going to make a huge impact to the bottom line.

How and I going to do it?
I am in good shape. I run fairly regularly, and when I have a race looming, training can get serious fast. I am consistently in the top 10% of a given race (except for the Milwaukee Marathon where I had major dehydration issues, but still managed to finish in the top 50%).

I own two bikes. One is an old Cannondale M1000 (frame dates to 1989) that I have cobbled together. The other is a Red Line Conquest cyclocross bike. The Red Line bike is in need of some parts before I can really put it in service as a commuter. It needs new tires. Going on 8 years with the originals.

Why haven't I done this already?
For the past 3 years now, I have been contemplating riding to work. I have access to shower facilities and am in shape. I guess the main reason for not starting has been complacency. I get used to new gas prices, pay them, and continue to drive 60 miles round trip a day.

This Friday, August 1, I am going to do half the ride. I'll ride from work to home and see how it goes.

No comments: