Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Getting Better all the Time!

August 19, 2008
The alarm hadn’t even gone off today, and I was already awake. Slipping in to my bike gear, I kissed MB goodbye and headed down to the garage. The garage is always the wrong temperature. Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. Eating half a powerbar and drinking some water helps wake me up. But not enough. After loading the new pump and spare tube, I activate the lights, and saddle up. I am half way down the street before I realize what is wrong: No helmet or gloves!

On the road this morning, my way is lit by not the headlight but the moon. I tried a different route this morning in an attempt to avoid the crappy stretch of 462 in Lancaster. Today’s ride took me down Valley Road to a short cut (can’t think of the name now) that dumps me on Lititz Pike. No cars coming, so I kept right on going. Turned on to Delp Road and cruised along until I hit the Overlook Park back entrance. This is a nice big multiuse park that has bike paths through it. I have been trying to get a route through Overlook simply because it takes me off the main road for about a mile. Cutting along the path, I realized that it might not be the quickest way. There are many sharp turns and it is not a direct route. Maybe when I could see something that would be a nice way to ride!! I did come up on a couple taking a predawn stroll.
Exiting the park, I cross through corporate parks and exotic car dealerships. I secretly wonder how cool it would be to work right there!! I could sleep in another 2 hours and still make it to work by 8! I finally arrive at the main road to 462, and a relative unknown, PA 741. This road winds around a little, but I have a good shoulder to ride to 462. What I had feared as large hills turned out to be no problem at all.

From Route 30 to 462 on 741, there are several ill timed traffic lights as well as a freight railroad track that crosses the road at grade. This allowed me, on a bike, to pass the same cars twice! That was a good feeling. A small hill up to 462, and I avoided most of the bad road between Dillerville Road and Roherstown Road. From here, I start to get in to cruise mode. Cranking away, I find that I am more comfortable with this bike. Even though I’ve had it for 8 years, I have not ridden it extensively until now. I rolled through Moutville and screamed through Columbia (well almost). I was doing slightly higher than the 30mph speed limit, but the brief uphill put an end to that!

One thing worth mentioning: cold air patches. I’ve noticed that as I am riding along, I suddenly hit a patch of cold air. I guess this is mostly over streams, but it still surprises me!!
Crossing the river this morning, I notice that the Eastbound lanes of Route 30 are not quite fully backed up yet. In another 20 minutes, there will be a half our backlog! I am convinced that the Wrightsville Bridge has slight grades to half way. I rolled along and tried to keep my speed above 10 mph as I climb out of the river basin.

I had mentioned to Brian that I’d be rolling through Hellam at about 6:45, so he should be out on the road if he wanted to ride in with me. No signs of him as I crest a steep hill and begin a nice easy downhill through town. I am really cruising now, even though I think I need to raise my seat by maybe 1/4”. As I pass Maple Donuts and look ahead to PA 24, I see the light turn green. Cranking, I try to keep moving and as I enter the intersection, the light turns orange!! I keep it rolling, and the start to pass the major strip malls that define East York. I’m moving it right along, and there is not much traffic around me.

Red Light! Ugh! All the work to get the momentum is lost as heat as I brake. Almost come to a stop, before traffic starts moving. I work my way through the bad I-83 Market street intersection only to get stuck at another light. Now, I have to work up a mild grade and prepare myself for the sprint down Philadelphia Street.

As I approach the section of Philly where there is a median down the middle, the light turns green, and I have an open lane. Cranking in top gear, I glance down to see I am running at about 28 MPH, but I am passing the cars in the other lane!! The signal from my eyes to my brain is not misunderstood, and adrenaline is released. I crank even harder, and start to pass the cars! As the lanes merge back together, I pause to think of what those drivers must be thinking: He’s fast! He’s crazy! Those shorts are too tight!”

The last two blocks are a cool down. I swing in to the parking lot and dismount. I look down at my computer and it takes a second for the reading to register. 1 Hr 36 minutes. 29.91 miles, 18.5 mph, max speed 34 mph. That’s a mile or so longer but 4 minutes faster than any previous ride in. WOW!! Time for some oatmeal and a coffee.

Oh, and when I went to the locker room to shower and get ready for work, there was Brian’s bike. He had left about 10 minutes before I got there, thinking he had missed me!!

No comments: